ad 2

Monday, September 23, 2013

OPERATING SYSTEMS(SEMESTER IV)

ANNA UNIVERSITY :: CHENNAI 600 025
UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENTS
REGULATIONS – 2008
CURRICULUM FROM III TO VIII SEMESTERS AND ELECTIVES FOR
B.TECH. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY


 

OPERATING SYSTEMS
(Common to CSE & IT)

 


UNIT I

PROCESSES AND THREADS

 

           Introduction to operating systemsreview of computer organizationoperating system structures system callssystem programssystem structurevirtual machines. Processes: Process conceptProcess schedulingOperations on processesCooperating processesInterprocess communicationCommunication in client-server systems. Case study: IPC in Linux. Threads: Multi-threading modelsThreading issues. Case Study: Pthreads library

UNIT II

PROCESS SCHEDULING AND SYNCHRONIZATION

           CPU Scheduling: Scheduling criteriaScheduling algorithmsMultiple-processor scheduling Real time schedulingAlgorithm Evaluation. Case study: Process scheduling in Linux. Process Synchronization: The critical-section problemSynchronization hardwareSemaphoresClassic problems of synchronizationcritical regionsMonitors. Deadlock: System modelDeadlock characterizationMethods for handling deadlocksDeadlock preventionDeadlock avoidanceDeadlock detectionRecovery from deadlock.

UNIT III

STORAGE MANAGEMENT

 

           Memory Management: BackgroundSwappingContiguous memory allocationPagingSegmentationSegmentation with paging. Virtual Memory: BackgroundDemand pagingProcess creationPage replacement Allocation of framesThrashing. Case Study: Memory management in Linux

UNIT IV

FILE SYSTEMS

           File-System Interface: File conceptAccess methodsDirectory structureFilesystem mountingProtection. File-System Implementation : Directory implementationAllocation methodsFree-space managementefficiency and performance recoverylog-structured file systems. Case studies: File system in Linux file system in Windows XP

UNIT V

I/O SYSTEMS

           I/O SystemsI/O HardwareApplication I/O interfacekernel I/O subsystem streamsperformance. Mass-Storage Structure: Disk schedulingDisk managementSwap-space managementRAIDdisk attachmentstable storagetertiary storage. Case study: I/O in Linux

No comments:

Post a Comment